Wolfe Funeral Home was established in September of 1974 in Rankin, Illinois, a small town in Northern Vermilion County, by Donald C. Wolfe. In 1977, Donald purchased Lanham Funeral Home in Potomac, Illinois and changed the name to Lanham-Wolfe Funeral Home, which is located at 400 North Vermilion Street, Potomac, Illinois. In 1978, Donald was asked to come to Rossville, Illinois to lease the building that was previously Chrisman Funeral Home and he changed the name to Wolfe Funeral Home. In 1994, Donald purchased a house in Hoopeston and completely renovated it and opened up Wolfe Funeral Home, 907 West Main Street, Hoopeston. Don owned and operated the funeral homes until his retirement in 2004 at which time his son Rodger, purchased the funeral homes from his father and continued operating the funeral homes until 2012, when he decided to semi retire and sold them to the Blurton family.
History of the Brown-Alkire Funeral Homes
The funeral home had its start in 1901 when it was known as the Parker-Scott Funeral Home, which was located in a storefront in downtown Hoopeston. Eventually the funeral home was purchased by Bill Stocker and Everett Wood and became the Wood-Stocker Funeral Home. They moved the business to the funeral home's current location on Washington Street and opened on January 1, 1946. In August 1977, Mr. Wood passed away and Wayne Knapp purchased the funeral home, but only owned it for a matter of months before selling the business to Dale Brown and Robert Alkire, who formed a partnership to purchase the business on March 1, 1978. The pair operated the funeral home for almost two decades before Alkire bought Brown out in October of 1997. On September 19, 2013, the Blurton Family purchased the Brown-Alkire family from Robert Alkire. After 42 years of being in the funeral business Mr. Alkire thought it was time to slow down a bit. He is still involved in the business with the Blurton family.